Quick Links: Table of Contents
- Average Litter Size of Afghan Hound
- Calculator to Predict How Many Puppies Afghan Hound Will Have
- How Much Does the Afghan Hound Puppy Weigh at Birth?
- How Big Will a Afghan Hound Puppy Get?
- How Much is a Afghan Hound Puppy
- How Long is a Afghan Hound Pregnant?
- How to Ensure a Successful Pregnancy in Afghan Hound
- Conclusion on Afghan Hound Litter Size
Average Litter Size of Afghan Hound
Researchers from the Norwegian School of Veterinary Science did a study where they counted the numbers of puppies in 8 different Afghan Hound birth litters.
From this study, the researchers found that the average number of puppies that Afghan Hounds can have is 8 puppies. Also, the Afghan Hound can have as few as 3 puppies per litter and as many as 12 puppies per litter.
See how the litter size of the Afghan Hound compares to that of other dog breeds below:
Read this article to learn about how many puppies dogs have.
Calculator to Predict How Many Puppies Afghan Hound Will Have
Afghan Hound Litter Size Predictor
According to the result of the research carried out by researchers from the Norwegian School of Veterinary Science, the number of puppies a Afghan Hound will have depends on the following main factors:
- The size of the breed (most important factor): Giant dog breeds tend to have a bigger litter size, while smaller breeds give birth to a smaller number of puppies
- The method of mating: Natural mating results in a larger litter size than artificial insemination.
- The age of the female dog: Check out the chart below to see how many puppies a female Afghan Hound is likely to have at different ages.
According to research, the following factors do not affect litter size:
- The time of the year of the litter was born (season of birth): Although, from the study, litters born in the Spring seem to be larger than litters from other seasons, however, the difference was not of significance.
- The number of times a female dog has given birth in the past (known as parity): The age of the female dog is more important to the extent that it makes parity insignificant.
Based on the important factors that affect litter size, the researchers from the Norwegian School of Veterinary Science developed formulas for predicting the litter size of dogs.
We have developed the Afghan Hound litter size calculator above based on their formulas. Use the calculator to predict how many puppies a Afghan Hound will have based on the age, and method of pregnancy for a Afghan Hound
The calculator tells you how many puppies your Afghan Hound will have if your Afghan Hound gets pregnant today. The calculator assumes that the length of pregnancy will be two months.
Note that we are NOT in any way encouraging you to breed your Afghan Hound. Dog breeding requires expertise. If you want to be breeding dogs, get the necessary training. Also, work closely with a veterinarian when breeding a dog.
The table below shows the average litter size to expect from a Afghan Hound at different ages. This table applies to a Afghan Hound that conceives through natural mating.
|Age (Years)||Average Litter Size||Litter Size Range|
|2||8 puppies||6 to 9 puppies|
|3||7 puppies||6 to 9 puppies|
|4||7 puppies||5 to 9 puppies|
|5||7 puppies||5 to 9 puppies|
|6||7 puppies||4 to 10 puppies|
|7||7 puppies||4 to 10 puppies|
|8||6 puppies||3 to 10 puppies|
|9||6 puppies||2 to 9 puppies|
How Much Does the Afghan Hound Puppy Weigh at Birth?
Veterinarian researchers did a study to find out how much Afghan Hound puppies weigh at birth. These researchers weighed 12 Afghan Hound puppies at birth.
Based on the study of the weight of 12 Afghan Hound puppies, the average weight of the Afghan Hound at birth is 500 grams (17.6 ounces). The birth weight of the Afghan Hound puppy typically ranges from 480 grams (16.9 ounces) to 562 grams (19.8 ounces).
16 ounces equal one pound.
The factors that affect the weight of a Afghan Hound puppy at birth include the size, weight, and age of the mother.
Importantly, research has also shown that female dogs that give birth at ages between 2 and 8 years give birth to puppies that are heavier than puppies birthed by younger or older female dogs.
How Big Will a Afghan Hound Puppy Get?
A Afghan Hound puppy will grow up to weigh around 50 to 60 pounds. Furthermore, a Afghan Hound puppy will grow up to be 24 to 26 inches tall at the shoulder.
Learn more about Afghan Hound weight and how big Afghan Hounds grow here
How Much is a Afghan Hound Puppy
The average price of a Afghan Hound puppy is $2290. The price of a Afghan Hound puppy ranges from $1912 to $2500.
Since the Afghan Hound has an average litter size of 8, therefore a Afghan Hound litter birth is worth $18320.
To learn more about the price of Afghan Hound puppy, check our review on how much Afghan Hound puppy cost, and Afghan Hound buying advice.
How Long is a Afghan Hound Pregnant?
Afghan Hounds are pregnant for 63 days on average (2 months) after conception. However, this is an average value. The length of pregnancy in Afghan Hounds can range from 58-68 days.
However, note that it is difficult to know the exact day that your Afghan Hound conceives because conception may not happen at the same time that mating happens.
Sperm can live inside a female Afghan Hound for several days after mating before conception occurs.
How to Ensure a Successful Pregnancy in Afghan Hound
To ensure that your Afghan Hound successfully gets pregnant and deliver its puppies, here at the things you can do:
- Feed your Afghan Hound well: A good diet will ensure that your Afghan Hound has the nutrients and the energy it needs to get pregnant and maintain the pregnancy.
- Make sure your Afghan Hound is in good health: Ensure you take your Afghan Hound to the Vet care regularly for checkups, make sure your Afghan Hound gets regular exercise. Also, make sure that your is not overweight or underweight.
To learn how to check if your Afghan Hound is overweight or underweight, check out this resource.
Conclusion on Afghan Hound Litter Size
Afghan Hounds can have 8 puppies per litter birth on average. The number of puppies that a Afghan Hound will have depends on factors such as the age of the Afghan Hound and the method of pregnancy (natural or artificial insemination).
Breeding Afghan Hounds the right way requires expertise and should be done after sufficient training.
Also, you should work closely with a veterinarian when breeding a Afghan Hound. There are a lot of nuances involved in breeding a dog, which we do not have the time or the space to discuss here.
However, working with a veterinarian will ensure that your Afghan Hound gets the right treatment necessary to make healthy puppies.
The litter size research study that we used for this article was conducted on Afghan Hounds in Norway. However, the authors of the research believe that the results can be generalized to other countries that have similar dog management systems as Norway.