Quick Links: Table of Contents
- Average Litter Size of French Bulldog
- Calculator to Predict How Many Puppies French Bulldog Will Have
- How Much Does the French Bulldog Puppy Weigh at Birth?
- How Big Will a French Bulldog Puppy Get?
- How Much is a French Bulldog Puppy
- How Long is a French Bulldog Pregnant?
- How to Ensure a Successful Pregnancy in French Bulldog
- Conclusion on French Bulldog Litter Size
Average Litter Size of French Bulldog
Researchers from the Norwegian School of Veterinary Science did a study where they counted the numbers of puppies in 35 different French Bulldog birth litters.
From this study, the researchers found that the average number of puppies that French Bulldogs can have is 4 puppies. Also, the French Bulldog can have as few as 1 puppies per litter and as many as 8 puppies per litter.
See how the litter size of the French Bulldog compares to that of other dog breeds below:
Read this article to learn about how many puppies dogs have.
Calculator to Predict How Many Puppies French Bulldog Will Have
French Bulldog Litter Size Predictor
According to the result of the research carried out by researchers from the Norwegian School of Veterinary Science, the number of puppies a French Bulldog will have depends on the following main factors:
- The size of the breed (most important factor): Giant dog breeds tend to have a bigger litter size, while smaller breeds give birth to a smaller number of puppies
- The method of mating: Natural mating results in a larger litter size than artificial insemination.
- The age of the female dog: Check out the chart below to see how many puppies a female French Bulldog is likely to have at different ages.
According to research, the following factors do not affect litter size:
- The time of the year of the litter was born (season of birth): Although, from the study, litters born in the Spring seem to be larger than litters from other seasons, however, the difference was not of significance.
- The number of times a female dog has given birth in the past (known as parity): The age of the female dog is more important to the extent that it makes parity insignificant.
Based on the important factors that affect litter size, the researchers from the Norwegian School of Veterinary Science developed formulas for predicting the litter size of dogs.
We have developed the French Bulldog litter size calculator above based on their formulas. Use the calculator to predict how many puppies a French Bulldog will have based on the age, and method of pregnancy for a French Bulldog
The calculator tells you how many puppies your French Bulldog will have if your French Bulldog gets pregnant today. The calculator assumes that the length of pregnancy will be two months.
Note that we are NOT in any way encouraging you to breed your French Bulldog. Dog breeding requires expertise. If you want to be breeding dogs, get the necessary training. Also, work closely with a veterinarian when breeding a dog.
The table below shows the average litter size to expect from a French Bulldog at different ages. This table applies to a French Bulldog that conceives through natural mating.
|Age (Years)||Average Litter Size||Litter Size Range|
|2||4 puppies||3 to 6 puppies|
|3||4 puppies||3 to 6 puppies|
|4||4 puppies||3 to 6 puppies|
|5||4 puppies||2 to 6 puppies|
|6||4 puppies||2 to 6 puppies|
|7||4 puppies||1 to 7 puppies|
|8||4 puppies||1 to 7 puppies|
|9||3 puppies||0 to 7 puppies|
How Much Does the French Bulldog Puppy Weigh at Birth?
Veterinarian researchers did a study to find out how much French Bulldog puppies weigh at birth. These researchers weighed 46 French Bulldog puppies at birth.
Based on the study of the weight of 46 French Bulldog puppies, the average weight of the French Bulldog at birth is 184 grams (6.5 ounces). The birth weight of the French Bulldog puppy typically ranges from 150 grams (5.3 ounces) to 235 grams (8.3 ounces).
16 ounces equal one pound.
The factors that affect the weight of a French Bulldog puppy at birth include the size, weight, and age of the mother.
Importantly, research has also shown that female dogs that give birth at ages between 2 and 8 years give birth to puppies that are heavier than puppies birthed by younger or older female dogs.
How Big Will a French Bulldog Puppy Get?
A French Bulldog puppy will grow up to weigh around 16 to 28 pounds. Furthermore, a French Bulldog puppy will grow up to be 11 to 12 inches tall at the shoulder.
Learn more about French Bulldog weight and how big French Bulldogs grow here
How Much is a French Bulldog Puppy
The average price of a French Bulldog puppy is $4610. The price of a French Bulldog puppy ranges from $3100 to $5000.
Since the French Bulldog has an average litter size of 4, therefore a French Bulldog litter birth is worth $18440.
To learn more about the price of French Bulldog puppy, check our review on how much French Bulldog puppy cost, and French Bulldog buying advice.
How Long is a French Bulldog Pregnant?
French Bulldogs are pregnant for 63 days on average (2 months) after conception. However, this is an average value. The length of pregnancy in French Bulldogs can range from 58-68 days.
However, note that it is difficult to know the exact day that your French Bulldog conceives because conception may not happen at the same time that mating happens.
Sperm can live inside a female French Bulldog for several days after mating before conception occurs.
How to Ensure a Successful Pregnancy in French Bulldog
To ensure that your French Bulldog successfully gets pregnant and deliver its puppies, here at the things you can do:
- Feed your French Bulldog well: A good diet will ensure that your French Bulldog has the nutrients and the energy it needs to get pregnant and maintain the pregnancy.
- Make sure your French Bulldog is in good health: Ensure you take your French Bulldog to the Vet care regularly for checkups, make sure your French Bulldog gets regular exercise. Also, make sure that your is not overweight or underweight.
To learn how to check if your French Bulldog is overweight or underweight, check out this resource.
Conclusion on French Bulldog Litter Size
French Bulldogs can have 4 puppies per litter birth on average. The number of puppies that a French Bulldog will have depends on factors such as the age of the French Bulldog and the method of pregnancy (natural or artificial insemination).
Breeding French Bulldogs the right way requires expertise and should be done after sufficient training.
Also, you should work closely with a veterinarian when breeding a French Bulldog. There are a lot of nuances involved in breeding a dog, which we do not have the time or the space to discuss here.
However, working with a veterinarian will ensure that your French Bulldog gets the right treatment necessary to make healthy puppies.
The litter size research study that we used for this article was conducted on French Bulldogs in Norway. However, the authors of the research believe that the results can be generalized to other countries that have similar dog management systems as Norway.